Galacticcactus.com

Baby Names, pt. 2

I’ve decided that I hate trying to pick baby names. Boys’ names, at least. Brinestone and I have had no problem finding girls’ names that we both like, but there seems to be a great dearth of good boys’ names. Last time, we finally settled on a couple of options only a month or so before Lego was born.

We’re not having an easier time of it the second time around. We seem to be having the exact sort of block described here. We’ve looked at baby name books and haven’t really found inspiration. We even checked out the Baby Name Wizard book, which offers suggestions based on names you like, and it hasn’t been that helpful, either. All it’s shown is that we’re pretty consistent in our tastes . . . and that there aren’t a lot of boys’ names that match our tastes.

It’s funny how some people freak out when they find out that you don’t have a name picked out months in advance. After all, we did end up with a couple choices in mind last time, and we picked one within a few minutes of his birth; I don’t think we’re really in danger of leaving the hospital with a blank birth certificate or any other travesty of that sort. Still, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be easy, and we are definitely going to wait until he’s born to make a final decision.

12 Responses to “Baby Names, pt. 2”

1. weezer says:
    March 13th, 2008, at 7:50 am |

How about Jon Jr.?

2. baby boy says:
    March 13th, 2008, at 8:06 am |

Some people wait to see the baby to decide how to name it.

3. brozy says:
    March 13th, 2008, at 11:44 am |

It’s so true. Not, uh, that Bawb and I have been obsessively making baby names lists since we started dating or anything.

I’m interested to see what you guys decide on this time. Lego is such a great name.

4. Brinestone says:
    March 13th, 2008, at 1:11 pm |

I’m thinking we’ll name him Slinky. Or maybe Silly Putty.

5. Porteiro says:
    March 13th, 2008, at 9:28 pm |

This is the perfect opportunity to use the awesomest name ever: Xerxes.

Problem solved.

6. Jon Boy says:
    March 15th, 2008, at 8:51 pm |

weezer: If we were to name him after me, he could be J. R. Jr. Is that awesome, or what?

Brinestone: Or Duplo. It’s the obvious solution.

Porteiro: It’s oh-so-tempting . . .

7. Porteiro says:
    March 17th, 2008, at 11:43 pm |

In all seriousness, I’m a big advocate of waiting ’till you meet the fellow before deciding on his name.

8. shannon says:
    March 18th, 2008, at 9:45 pm |

I have a friend who brought their baby home from the hospital nameless because she and her husband couldn’t agree. She went back to the hospital by herself the next day to fill out the birth certificate. When her husband asked her about it later, she told him she had named the baby girl Nora, which was OK with him. It was weeks and weeks before he found out that his wife had technically named the baby Eleanor Saffron. He was like, “Are you kidding me? Eleanor Saffron??” He got used to it, eventually.

9. Jon Boy says:
    March 19th, 2008, at 9:23 am |

Holy cow. I would’ve been pretty upset if Brinestone had done that.

10. Miss A says:
    March 22nd, 2008, at 10:36 pm |

What?!? You don’t want the name Kyler or Braedon? My sister and brother-in-law had trouble agreeing on a name for this last one and so they ended up with a name they both thought was okay rather than one they were both in love with. I’m sure you guys will have great luck, though. Sounds like Brinestone has some great ideas.

11. Pat says:
    March 24th, 2008, at 6:29 am |

Atticus. Name him that.

12. Miss A says:
    March 28th, 2008, at 8:55 am |

Pat–It’s so funny that you mentioned that name. I’m teaching that book right now and somehow I keep running into people that are named after the characters. Granted, one is an English teacher at our school who named her daughter Scout, but now I’ve run into a Jem (Jeremy–about eight or so) and an Atticus (he’s about two years old).

Actually, I really like the name.